Monday, March 1, 2010

:: Home Learning ::

Intrapersonal:
c. Write a diary entry for a major character of the novel.
Jem's Diary
Dear Diary,

Today, I watched Tom Robinson's trial. It was horrible. Atticus was a great lawyer. He made Tom's innocence so obvious that anyone could see that he had been framed. So why, why in the name of God did the jury convict him? I don't understand. Maybe it's because everyone in this town hates Negroes. But why do they? I've seen Tom Robinson, I've seen Calpurnia, and both are respectable and fine people. They're more hardworking than most white people I've seen, such as the Ewells. Atticus said the Ewells were absolute trash. Bob Ewell doesn't even care about his own children. So why would the jury believe him instead of Atticus, when it was clear as day that Bob had made the entire thing up? Bob Ewell can't have bribed them, he has barely enough to survive. So what is wrong with the people of this town? Why are they so blinded by their Prejudice, why don't they have the Courage to stand up for a righteous cause? I'm starting to think that I may not be as lucky as I thought to be living in Maycomb County. When I was younger, I believed that everyone was good and that there was no evil. Even though I'm older, I still believe that there is good in the world. Now, after this trial, I'm not that sure any more. What is wrong with this town?


Linguistic:
1. You have conducted an interview with one of the characters in TKAM. Write out the interview transcript, taking note to demonstrate the essence of the character and his/her point of view.

An Interview with Mr Heck Tate

Me("M" from here on): So, what do you think of the results of Tom Robinson's trial?

Mr Tate("T" from here on): The result was no surprise to me. Poor Tom Robinson never really had a chance, despite Atticus's efforts. A sad case, but it happens all the time here.

M: Why did he never have a chance in the trial?

T: You would know if you've lived a single day in this town. As Atticus said during the trial, they believe that "All Negroes lie, that all Negroes are basically immoral beings, that all Negroes are not to be trusted around our women." This jury was a dozen respectable, rational men, but when Negroes were involved, every single one of them suddenly went blind.

M: Do you think that you are racist?

T: As much as I would like to deny it, I have to say that I am. Not to the extent where it affects my judgement on things, but I must admit that when I look upon a black man, there is a brief moment of disgust, when I am temporarily overwhelmed by the "ideals" of this society.

M: What do you think of Maycomb County? Is it a good place to live in?

T: I've been here for a long while, and I believe it is, on the surface, a wonderful place to be. However, when you look deeper, you will realise that everyone in this town has secrets. They hide their fears and jealousy behind a facade of prejudice. Hence, I do not think Maycomb County is a very good place to live.

M: Is there anyone you admire in Maycomb County?

T: First and foremost, I believe that the black people in this county are the bravest people of all. Being able to live with all this abuse and discrimination is difficult for anybody. Most folks I know here would just run away, but the blacks did not do so. They stayed, and they are still thriving. Just look at First Purchase Church. I believe that they are a true triumph of humanity. Of course, I have to mention Atticus Finch. He is the single greatest man in this town. While there was never any doubt about what was going to happen to Tom Robinson, Atticus still tried as hard as he could. At the end of his speech, I admit that it awoke a tiny sliver of hope within me. His courage to stand up against unfairness in the face of impossible odds is unparalleled in this county.

M: Thank you for your time, Mr Tate. It's been a pleasure to speak to you.
-End of Interview-

No comments:

Post a Comment